I think I’m going to do something crazy. And I haven’t told Matt about it (hey babe! surprise!). So I think I’m going to go halfsies on Lent and give up TV from now until Easter. I know, I know. SUCH a sacrifice. But seriously. I don’t actually watch a lot of TV. But it’s my go-to Mental Break Hour each evening. After the kids go to bed I collapse on the couch with my knitting and my remote. I usually turn it off by 9:00ish, so I really only watch an hour, two at the most, each evening. But I want to kind of create some space for quiet for the next couple of weeks. Maybe read. I know you probably won’t believe me, but I haven’t been much of a reader lately. And when I say lately I mean since Emma’s birth eight months ago. My brain is just toast, and reading puts me to sleep. True story. I’ve made it half way through the last three book club books. Yikes. But I’m hosting it this time, and it’s this weekend. So I need to turn off the TV and read. And pray. And parent. And spend real time with Matt, not just sit next to him on the couch watching Mad Men (OMG, how good was the season premiere?!?!?!). Or whatever.
Anyway, I have some goals for the next few weeks. More reading. More knitting. More pictures (I’ve been slacking lately. And those two little ones are growing so freaking fast, so I need to document it.). More play time. More walks. More time with God. I want to set aside time to work with Ben on school-y things. I want to actually put together Emma’s baby book (yeah...I haven’t even bought it yet...). Or our wedding album. And start our garden. And do crafts and nature-y things with Ben. And ride bikes. Maybe I should get one. Yeah...I need a bike.
Now there’s this idyllic montage running through my head. With a sunset bike ride, flying a kite on the beach, planting in the garden, reading, knitting, playing scrabble...probably pretty unrealistic. But it’s my montage, so let me have it.
It’s kind of been a long week, though (yes it’s only Wednesday morning). And I’m pretty tired. And Downton Abby Season Two will be arriving in the mail from Netflix in a couple of days. Maybe I’ll just watch a little TV. You know, to prep my mind and body for all the reading and scrabble and kite flying.
Dang it. Oh well. Here’s to being a grown-up in a first world country where I have the luxury of making these choices. Cheers.
3 comments:
go for it . . all of it! Cheering you on, dear Heart. Time with your still "little ones" we all know is precious, mainly because they grow so, so, so, fast; once that time is gone - it's really gone. Close time with your husband, shoulder to shoulder stuff, is also precious. Trust your heart more every day. Love you all . . Nana
Hmmmm....If you give up TV for the next couple weeks, your DVR will be so full that you'll be a TV junkie after Easter. Ya think? But I LOVE*LOVE*LOVE the time with God, hubby, kids idea! NOTHING is better than that! Bike rides, garden, read, knit, (forget the kite-flying-thing since it requires running). Oh to be young and "energitic" again!
Love you BIG....Auntie Sue
Ooops..."energetic".
Post a Comment